Golden Milk Turmeric Oatmeal
Golden turmeric milk has recently gained popularity, but have you tried golden milk tumeric oatmeal? This recipe takes the classic bowl of oatmeal and transforms it into an even higher nutrition packed and delicious breakfast! Golden milk tumeric oatmeal is easy to make and gives a fun new flavor to traditional oatmeal!
Benefits of Eating Oats
Oats are a gluten-free, whole grain food. In addition, they are low in fat, high in fiber and loaded with vitamins, antioxidants and minerals (especially manganese). Some additional benefits include:
- Supports weight loss
- Boosts energy
- Aids in controlling blood sugar
- Helps keep you regular
- Lowers LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol)
- Reduces risk of cardiovascular disease
Why Soak Oats Overnight?
Not only does soaking oats over night make cooking time much faster, it is also an effective way to remove the grain’s phytic acid. But what is phytic acid? It is an anti-nutrient, meaning it blocks the absoprtion of nutrients and can even leech other nutrients, such as calcium, from your body. The amount of phytic acid found on oats can be greatly reduced by soaking them overnight in an acidic solution. Two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice added to water that cover the oats are two possible solutions. Allow to sit on the counter overnight. In the morning, they will be ready to be used.
What Makes Golden Milk Oatmeal Different?
Oatmeal on it’s own is a great, nutrient dense food. However, when you make it with golden milk, it becomes a nutritional powerhouse. Here is a run down of what is added to make golden oatmeal and why it’s amazing:
- This unique and bold, yellow colored spice contains one of the greatest known anti-inflammatory compounds, curcumin. Curcumin’s bioavability becomes highly increased when combined with black pepper.
- In recent studies, curcumin has been shown to reduce tumor size and kill cancer cells.
- In addition, curcumin also helps reverse many of issues related to insulin resistance and hyperglycemia.
- Helps regulate blood sugar
- Powerful anti-oxidant
- Fights viruses and infections (naturally anti-microbial, anti-biotic, anti-fungal, and anti-viral)
- Contain powerful anti-inflammatory compounds called gingerols
- Effective against menstrual pain
- May reduce cholesterol levels
- You can read more the benefits of ginger here
- Proven to be a natural way to treat or prevent dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease
- Increases energy and metabolism
- Raises HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers LDL (bad cholesterol)
- Increases bioavailability of curcumin
- Stimulates digestion
- Piperine, a compound found in black pepper that is believed to help prevent cancer, becomes more potent when combined with turmeric.
Recipe for Golden Milk Oatmeal
prep: 5 minutes | cook: 10 minutes | total: 15 minutes
yield: 4 servings
- 2 cups Steel Cut Organic Oats (pre-soaked over night, rinsed and drained)
- 4 cups of milk of choice (unsweetened almond milk was used in this recipe)
- 2 tablespoons ground Turmeric
- 2 tablespoons Ceylon Cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons raw honey (optional)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon ground Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper (needed to activate the benefits of the tumeric)
- First, pour milk into pot with pre-soaked, rinsed and drained oats and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Then, reduce heat to medium-low and stir in all ingredients.
- Remove from heat, serve and enjoy!
This recipe can easily be more personalized to your taste even after served in bowls. For example, some people like to add more honey or cinnamon, etc.
Give this a try and Let us know how you liked it! Did you do anything different? Bon appetit!